If you have silverfish in your home, you are relatively fortunate as they are not Australia’s worst pest. But Silverfish will cause damage to furniture, fabrics, books and anything sugary, they are relatively easy to remove and control in the home.
Silverfish will eat dried food, fabrics, paper and even leather, but even though they won’t entirely destroy your home like termites, you really will want to remove them as fast as possible.
They generally nest in warm damp places, often behind bookshelves, walls, and basements. Silverfish don’t bite humans so they aren’t the most dangerous but they still carry diseases that can be spread through infected food.
Masterkill has very effective treatments to kill silverfish and stop them from returning.
Common Signs Silverfish Have Infested Your Home
Here are some of the most common signs that you have silverfish in your home:
- Irregular shaped holes in fabrics and clothes
- Finding shed skins, usually near nests and damp areas
- Yellowish stains on clothes and fabrics
- Seeing them in common places like basements, bathrooms, crawlspaces & dark areas
Masterkill’s pest controllers will make a full inspection of your premises, and likely use a combination of eco-friendly techniques including fogging, insecticide sprays, natural repellents and traps depending on your unique situation. We’ll also give you some advice and tips on how to prevent them from returning but a secondary treatment may be required for severe infestations.
Why is Silverfish Removal Necessary?
Apart from the reasons above like eating away at paper, leather, fabrics, dried foods and anything sugary, Silverfish will also:
- Attract other pests like cockroaches, spiders and centipedes etc
- Contaminate foods by just touching them
- Trigger asthma and other allergies
- Attract predator pests