There are over 1200 species of Ants in Australia (though this could double with up-to-date research) so Ants are very common, but the severity of an ant infestation will depend upon the type of ant you have. In Maitland and NSW in general there are a few common species that will all come with their own unique problems, but all of them will need removing from your home or business.
Ants will build nests in and around your home and will breed in large numbers and ants can bite with quite nasty consequences possibly causing severe allergic reactions. In short, you definitely do not want ants in your home so have them removed by the experts at Masterkill with over 20 years of experience as licensed pest controllers.
Reasons to Remove Ants From Your Home
Ants will travel far from their nest (whether inside or outside) in search of food and they are pretty relentless. Here are some very good reasons you will require ant pest controllers:
- Damage – Ants can easily bite through thin plastic and paper food wrappings and will cause havoc if they can access your food cupboards and pantry
- Bites – Many species of ant will become aggressive if disturbed and can bite multiple times resulting in nasty sore marks on your skin
- Allergic Reactions – Ant bites can cause allergic reactions which are more dangerous to the young and elderly. Anaphylactic shock can be induced by many types of insect bite
- Disease and Bacteria – Ants aren’t the worst at spreading disease but they do cover a lot of ground and will allow bacteria to spread onto surfaces and foodstuffs spreading shigella, e.coli, and salmonella as well as dysentery and smallpox
- Power failures, termites often seek warm and dark places for nests so often they will build them in or around electrical boxes like consumer units etc
- Floors, walls and ceilings are damaged, termites will eat anything but mainly wood so anything that is blistered, sagging or split can be a sign of termites
There are many other signs pending on the variety you have, but if you even suspect that might have termites in your home or business then call Masterkill for a termite inspection to make sure and prevent untold damage.
Worst Types of Ants as Pests
As mentioned, there are thousands of species of ant, but some are more problematic than others. Here are the worst types of ants to have in your home in the Maitland area:
- Black Ants (Sugar Ants)
- Coastal Brown Ants
- Carpenter Ants
- Argentine Ants
- Bull Ants
- Fire Ants
- Fling Ants
Effective Ant Control Treatments
The key to ineffective ant control treatment is a full inspection inside and out, then the experts at Masterkill will use the following techniques to remove ants from your home:
- Interior – Nest location. This is always the most effective treatment, to find and treat the nest with baiting or sprays (if access allows) used depending on the species. Feeding on the bait will mean they take back the pesticide to the nest effectively wiping it out.
- Exterior – Again, the nest location is key. We will spray and treat nest and trail locations around your property using a targeted termiticide. Ants will continue to spread the treatment over the next few days again killing the nest.